Thursday, August 19, 2010

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer


All About It:

While other teenage girls daydream about boys, Calla Tor imagines ripping out her enemies’ throats. And she wouldn’t have it any other way. Calla was born a warrior and on her eighteenth-birthday she’ll become the alpha female of the next generation of Guardian wolves. But Calla’s predestined path veers off course the moment she saves the life of a wayward hiker, a boy her own age. This human boy’s secret will turn the young pack's world upside down and forever alter the outcome of the centuries-old Witches' War that surrounds them all.

What I Thought:

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a copy of the Nightshade ARC (Advanced Readers Copy). I have to say having an ARC in your hands makes you feel special. But that is beside the point. Nightshade was amazing. With the plethora of Werewolf stories out there, it's hard to find one that is different than the other. They all seem to have the same plot, same problems, the only difference being the names and places. Nightshade was an exception though. It was a story that was original. Calla the main character was the best part of the book. She made you feel what she was feeling and drew you into her mind. In her world she is the alpha wolf of her pack. This means she is supposed to be strong, follow orders, and not disappoint anyone. She lives to protect the Keepers. Her life is not her own. Since birth she was promised to Ren, sexy and powerful Ren, the alpha of the Bane pack. She can't help what she is told to do. She must follow the path set out for her or face deadly consequences. That is why when she saves a stranger, gorgeous and smart and not at all bad on the eyes named Shay, revealing what she really is, everything turns upside down. She can't help falling for the strange boy she saved, he knows her secret, he's not afraid, and her masters just told her to keep him safe. Drawn to him and knowing she shouldn't be Calla tries to fight it. Calla is falling for Shay but on the other hand, she cannot help but feel the fire of passion when Ren touches her. So, say hello to an amazingly sexy love triangle. On top of that you get secrets and lies and mysteries that make Calla realize not only has her whole world been turned upside down by a forbidden romance but the world she thought she knew was all a lie. I cannot express how much I enjoyed this book. I almost gave the author a heart attack when I joked and said I hated it. The only thing I hated is that it was over WAY to fast! It leaves your heart retching at the cliff hanger you close the book on. I think I may die of "not knowing" by the time book two, WolfsBane comes out in July of 2011.






Four and a Half Fairies

(The only reason Nightshade is missing the last half of Fairy is that in the beginning everything moves a little fast. You start out a tad confused but everything quickly falls into place a few chapters in.)

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say that I love your blog! I love the name and the look. And I look forward to reading more reviews from you in the future!

    ReplyDelete