Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins


All About It:

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.


What I Thought:

I have to say, I am a procrastinator. A Queen Procrastinator. I pre-ordered this book and got it on the day it came out. It took me a month to finally open the cover and begin reading the magic that lie among its pages. I don't know why it took me so long, once I started it, it was hard to stop. The world created in the walls of Hex Hall is amazing. I have to say, it was definitely not what I was expecting, it was much, much better. Sophie Mercer is now a name I cannot seem to get out of my head. Ever since reading this I sometimes find myself wondering, what would Sophie do? It is such a weird feeling, very few characters are brought to life enough for the reader to connect to them after the covers have been closed and the book placed on the shelf, finished. That is what makes this book so amazing, it sticks with you. Now on to my favorite subject, romance, oh my it is wonderful. It’s not hot and heavy but most of the time underlying and so frustrating you want to shake Sophie and here main crush, Archer Cross (who by the way is wonderfully Delicious!) Then finally when the electricity between the two becomes unbearable, it all falls apart. I cannot spoil anything but I must admit that before you pick up this book you should know that there is a terrible cliff hanger.
It leaves you wondering what will become of the two teenage lovers. Will they survive? Or will a new love interest come into play with the football player, look-a-like grounds keeper? Who knows who knows? All I know is that Ms. Rachel Hawkins PLEASE, PLEASE hurry up with next installment! You’re killing us with suspense!







Four and a Half Fairies

No comments:

Post a Comment